In Asia long noodles are a symbol of a long life. Noodles with black bean sauce is a favorite meal in Korea. This is a recipe that will bring Korea into your home. They are “sucked into” the mouth not bitten off. Eating noisily is a sign that you are enjoying your food – your children will love it …
INGREDIENTS (4 SERVINGS)
- 4 small packages of fresh Udong noodles (from the Asia supermarket)
- ½ cup black bean paste
- 4 slices (1.5 cm) pork belly or bacon, cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 Korean radish, cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
- 8 peeled garlic gloves, roughly chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons corn starch combined with some chicken broth
- 4 spring onions, washed and cut into 4 cm thick diagonal slices (for garnish)
- ½ cucumber, cut into 4 cm long matchsticks (for garnish)
- ¼ l chicken or vegetable broth
- Cooking oil, a bit of sesame oil
- freshly milled pepper, salt to taste, a pinch of sugar
On the side: Kimchi (available in Asian supermarkets)
Season the cubes of pork with pepper and lemon juice, set aside.
Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a deep pan. Fry the pork in very hot oil for 4 minutes. Add onions, garlic, bell pepper, and radish to the meat and onions, season with a little pepper and stir-fry.
Add ¼ cup of black bean paste and ½ cup chicken broth and stir well. Turn down the heat to about half and let the meat and vegetable mix cook for 10 minutes.
Add the rest of the bean paste and the chicken broth, mix well, and add the starch broth as needed until the sauce is thick. Add 2 teaspoons sesame oil and a pinch of sugar to the meat and vegetable sauce and keep it warm.
Bring the Udong noodles to a boil in lightly salted water and steep for 2 – 3 minutes. Drain, rinse, and strain in cold water.
Serve noodles topped with the meat and bean sauce in previously warmed bowls. Garnish with spring onion and cucumber strips and serve with kimchi.
잘 먹겠습니다 (Enjoy your meal – “jal meokkesseumnida” – before a meal)
잘 먹었습니다 (“jal meogeosseumnida” – after a meal)
Download the recipe: JAJANG MYEON_Recipe_Noodles